Applicants for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or
Handgun Purchase Permit
- Go to: https:/www.njportal.com/njsp/FARS follow instruction and complete the application, Readington Twp residents only will need to enter the following ORI # (NJ0102200) to complete the application.
- All first-time applicants for a Firearms ID Card MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be completed by Idento (MorphoTrust). The required form needed to get fingerprinted is available after completing your application Online at https:/www.njportal.com/njsp/FARS.
- If you have already been issued a Firearms ID card or permit to purchase a handgun in New Jersey, you will need to enter your SBI# which is found on the front of your firearms ID card. If you do not have your SBI# you must contact the Readington Township Police or the NJ State Police Firearms unit to receive your SBI# to complete your application.
- If you are applying for a Handgun Purchase Permit, there is no limit on the quantity of permits you may apply for; however, you may only purchase one handgun every 30 days, unless you qualify for an exemption, under 2C:58-3. Applications for multiple handgun purchases are to be submitted to the NJSP Firearms unit through FARS at he time you apply for your Handgun Permits.
- Once you have submitted your application online and have been fingerprinted (if necessary), you will be contacted by the Readington Township Police upon the completion of your application.
The cost for an Initial ID card is $5.00 and each handgun permit is $2.00. These fees must be paid prior to you receiving your permits/ID card. There is no charge for a duplicate Firearms ID card. Payment for your INITIAL firearms ID card and/or all hangdun permits must be submitted to the Readington Township Police Department prior to your application being approved. Payment must be made as follows:
- via Municipay after completing your online application (Recommended). Service charges apply.
- In person at the police station. Credit card, E-check, personal check, money order, or cash (exact amount only) are accepted.
Improperly prepared applications may delay the processing of your application. All fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-TRANSFERABLE. You may be contacted by the Readington Township Police if there is a question or concern with your application which requires more information. Please ensure you provide the best phone number to reach you to help expedite this process.
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you