Applicants for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or
Handgun Purchase Permit
- Go to: https:/www.njportal.com/njsp/FARS follow instruction and complete the application, Readington Twp residents only will need to enter the following ORI # (NJ0102200) to complete the application.
- All first-time applicants for a Firearms ID Card MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be completed by Idento (MorphoTrust). The required form needed to get fingerprinted is available after completing your application Online at https:/www.njportal.com/njsp/FARS.
- If you have already been issued a Firearms ID card or permit to purchase a handgun in New Jersey, you will need to enter your SBI# which is found on the front of your firearms ID card. If you do not have your SBI# you must contact the Readington Township Police or the NJ State Police Firearms unit to receive your SBI# to complete your application.
- If you are applying for a Handgun Purchase Permit, there is no limit on the quantity of permits you may apply for; however, you may only purchase one handgun every 30 days, unless you qualify for an exemption, under 2C:58-3. Applications for multiple handgun purchases are to be submitted to the NJSP Firearms unit through FARS at he time you apply for your Handgun Permits.
- Once you have submitted your application online and have been fingerprinted (if necessary), you will receive an email once your application is complete and has been approved.
UPDATE (effective 4/1/21)
The previous printed ID Cards and Permits to Purchase Handguns have been phased out for all applications approved after April 1, 2021. (Applications submitted prior to October 1,2020 will still receive printed Permits to Purchase). The Readington Township Police Department is no longer printing up these documents for applicants, and applicants will not be required to come to Police Headquarters to pick up either Firearms ID Cards or Permits to Purchase Handguns.
Applicants will now receive an Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) and/or an Electronic Permit to Purchase a Handgun (E-PERMIT).
The previously issued yellow Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards are still valid and are still accepted at all NJ Licensed Firearms Dealers and do not have to be replaced.
ELECTRONIC FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARD (E-FID): Applicants that apply for an Initial Card, a Replacement Card (Lost, Stolen, Mutilated), Change of Address, Change of Name, or Change of Sex will receive an email from NJ Firearms System-NJ Portal (NJ State Police) advising that your application was approved. In the email will be a link to download the E-FID and an Access Key that allows you to download the E-FID Card. The Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card will be available to download for one year from date of issue. Please ensure that you print and save a copy for your records. If you do not download the E-FID card within the year you will need to apply for a replacement ID Card which will result in additional application fees on the FARS Site and an additional background investigation by the Readington Township Police Department as required by NJ State Law.
ELECTRONIC PERMIT TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN (E-PERMIT) When an application is approved, the applicant will receive an email from NJ Firearms System-NJ Portal (NJ State Police) advising of the approval of the Permits to Purchase Handguns. The email will not contain the actual E-PERMIT. It just advises the applicant that the E-PERMIT has been approved. The actual E-PERMIT is contained on the NJ State Police FARS Site and can be activated by any NJ Licensed Firearms Dealer at time of purchase. E-PERMITS have the same expiration period as the former paper permits (90 days from date of approval, with a renewal period of an additional 90 days). Once 180 days have passed since the E-PERMIT was issued, the E-PERMIT is no longer valid and cannot be renewed.
The cost for an Initial ID card is $5.00 and each handgun permit is $2.00. These fees must be paid prior to you receiving your permits/ID card. There is no charge for a duplicate Firearms ID card. Payment for your INITIAL firearms ID card and/or all hangdun permits must be submitted to the Readington Township Police Department prior to your application being approved. Payment must be made as follows:
- via Municipay after completing your online application (Recommended). Service charges apply.
- In person at the police station. Credit card, E-check, personal check, money order, or cash (exact amount only) are accepted.
Improperly prepared applications may delay the processing of your application. All fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-TRANSFERABLE. You may be contacted by the Readington Township Police if there is a question or concern with your application which requires more information. Please ensure you provide the best phone number to reach you to help expedite this process.
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you