Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
(The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application)
- Complete a State of New Jersey Application For Permit To Carry A Handgun,in triplicate. All references must know the applicant for a minimum of three years prior to the date of the application.
- All original copies must be notarized.
- Submit four color passport size photographs with your application package.
- Complete the Consent For Mental Health Search. MUST BE SIGNED IN PRESENCE OF LAW ENFORCEMNENT OFFICER
- Submit in writing a justifiable reason / need for the issuance of a permit to carry a handgun. This must be detailed attach any supporting documents. Armed guards shall obtain this from the C.E.O. of the company they are employed by. This shall also be notarized.
- Written proof of qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved. This must be recent at the time of the application and must also be obtained from a certified firearms instructor.
- A money order in the amount of $50.00 payable to, “Treasurer - State of New Jersey.”
- All armored car guard applications and Retired Law Enforcement applications shall be submitted to the New Jersey State Police. All others (Non-Armored car guards) shall be submitted to the Readington Township Police.